The church is the third largest of America's Episcopal cathedrals. It was built from 1927 to 1964, its construction being inspired by French cathedrals. We were not going to spend a lot of time looking at the church, but a docent offered to give us a tour. That proved to be a good thing, as without his guidance we would have missed a lot of the artistic and historic features of the church. In the picture above is the statue of St.Francis, his face having the likeness of Buddha. The sculpture was chosen as a perfect symbol for the church- a welcoming house of prayer for all people. The circles on the floor to the right of the statue is an indoor labyrinth for prayer and meditation. The murals on the wall depict the history of the church, the first building was destroyed in the earthquake of 1906. The blue and red ribbons above the nave are part of the 2013 art project which is entitled "Graced with Light". On the blue ribbons people have written their hopes and prayers. Leaving the church we walked over to Chinatown.