Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Surprise in Sundance, Wyoming

When we drove into Sundance we were looking for a motel.  Strangely, most of the motels were full, but we were finally able to obtain a  room.

The streets of the town were empty.  We asked the motel clerk where all the towns people were.  He informed us that the Crook County Fair was going on at present and that almost everyone were there.  Next we needed supper, and there were not many restaurants in town open to choose from.  We lucked out again and found one.  We decided that after all the cattle we had been seeing, it was time for a steak meal..



Sign above John says: "The West Needs More Cowboys".   I don't think John would qualify.   After supper we felt in need of a good walk.  What a surprise when we came upon Sundance Square (just built in 2020), a lovely park with a bit of history to share with us.

Sundance Kid
 The Sundance Kid, Harry Longabaugh, served time in the local jail and took his name from the town.  He put in 18 months there for stealing a horse, the only time he was in any jail.  After leaving Sundance he became notorious for bank robberies and a train heist.  

 

Sundance Jail, circa 1800s

Besides the sculpture of the Kid, there were these large photographs in the town square.  We noticed that besides Harry Longabaugh, Butch Cassidy was also in the picture.  I was surprised, I thought the pictures would be of the town founders!    It was a Prussian-born immigrant who staked his claim in 1879 and named the town Sundance.   He gave that honor to the Native Americans and the sun dance they performed on both Sundance and Imyan Kara Mountains.  Before I end this posting I will share with you an interesting plant which I found in the square.  I don't think I have seen this plant ever, or at least if I did I did not know what it was!

catnip


No comments:

Post a Comment