Back at the bottom of the bluff again, we drove to the waterfront and the Port of Dubuque. Here we found the historic Shot Tower, built in 1856. Back in the 1760s an Englishman invented the "drop process". Melted lead, dropped from a high level, became a sphere because of surface tension. After landing in water and cooling down it keep its shape to then be used as rifle shot. Shot was produced here until 1881.
From the shot tower we walked over to the riverfront and the Mississippi River Walk. It was quite the active place for a humid summer evening. We counted at least four different wedding receptions taking place, either at the Dubuque Star Brewery or at the Grand River Center. Small children were running barefooted down the green grassy slopes in their wedding finery while couples were strolling along the river's edge. Adding to our enjoyment of the evening were the exhibit of 11 sculptures, public art offered by the city which are for sale. Most of them could be found in small flower gardens along the river walk.